To better use MySword, please read the following tips:
- Backup your data regularly (e.g. everyday after writing some notes). All data are saved in the Modules path which is in the SD Card by default. Just copy the mydata (contains settings, bookmarks and highlights), notes and journals folder to your backup device (Cloud storage or desktop/laptop via USB cable). Or you can just backup the entire mysword folder to include the other modules as well.
- If you want to use Dropbox as a backup service and also wanted to synchronize two or more devices, check this article:
- The contents of the Top buttons bar of Bible, Commentary, Dictionary, Notes and Journal/Book Views as well as the common Bottom buttons bar are scrollable/slidable (to the left or right). Please check the other buttons. For a description of the buttons see the User's Guide.
Configuring MySword for Optimal Use
- You can change the text size by going to Menu->Preferences, tap the Text size under Look and Feel, then select the preferred size.
- To improve the battery life, you can adjust the screen setting of your device depending on the type of display you have:
- OLED (like AMOLED) - you can use a black background with white or light gray text. Go to Menu->Preferences, tap Color Theme, then select the preferred theme.
- LCD - you can adjust the brightness of the back light down to reduce power consumption.
- You can rearrange the buttons at the Bottom bar and at the top for the Bible, Commentary, Dictionary and Journal/Book Views. Go to Menu->Preferences, scroll down at the bottom and select the desired view buttons you want to rearrange.
- There are two major types of search supported by MySword: Default/Ordinary Search and FTS (full-text search).
- The Default/Ordinary Search is simply a contains all the strings/words type of search. That means ear will also match hear, tears and ears. There is no any word search feature.
- The FTS is a word stem (root) type of search similar to the one used by search engines like Google. For example, ear will also match ears but not hear. Consequently, all stems are prefixes only.
- FTS is a lot faster than the Default search because the FTS is indexed while the Default is not. The Default search will check all records at the database engine level (filtered by the verse range in Bible and Commentaries) while FTS will use the FTS index so few records are accessed.
- For details on this type as well as for new other types of search, please see the User's Guide.
- You can use FTS (full-text search) for a faster Dictionary and Commentary search especially for those modules that have lots of large entries like ISBE, Gill and Matthew Henry.
- When upgrading to a new version of MySword, you do not have to uninstall MySword. You just need to install over the current version. All your settings and notes (Personal verse notes and Journals) will still be there if you did not uninstall.
- In case you want or need to uninstall MySword first, please backup your data (see above Daily Use).